Friday, June 20, 2008

We-elll....

The new apartment is slowly coming together, but it's not as perfectly located for running as I thought. The trails along the river can be pretty hilly at points, and are frequently interrupted by stoplights. Plus, part of the West River trail is closed due to the bride construction. I've really been missing my lakes and my Kenilworth trail. At first, I thought I was missing my old apartment and that thought horrified me. But no, I've just been missing my old running routes.

So, last night, I decided that I would bike from the U to the Running Room, stash my bag, do my 7 mile tempo run and then bike home. OH MY GOD. I was thinking, hey, if this works, I can just do this! Well, yeah, it didn't work. I ended up biking 6 miles, running 6.5 and biking 7 miles. That was just a little too much. I pretty much passed out at 9 pm last night, which left poor Abe to finish the laundry. (Thanks Abe!)

So, my new tactic will be this, I think--I think that I will drive to Lake of the Isles to do speedwork, and then do my tempo runs from home. Yes, it's hilly, but since the FIRST program does not involve hill training (and the marathon involves MANY hills), this isn't such a bad thing. There really isn't a good space for speedwork around our new place, so I'll have to drive to a good spot. But I can justify once a week, especially since I bike or bus to work every day.

Anyway, that's the new plan. Last's night tempo was supposed to be a 7 mile tempo with 5 miles at my planned marathon pace of 9:39. I really, really struggled to keep that 9:39 at the end, which made me feel ashamed. And I cut my cool-down short, just walking a half mile for a cool down. Perhaps I struggled because I biked before I ran, or maybe it was those potato chips I had for lunch, but it was tough. I need to be more careful about what I eat on running days. And non-running days, really. It's marathon training time. It's deprivation time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home